Student Support Policy
CSN-REC Graduate Student Support Policy
Graduate students can apply for funding to assist with the costs of attending international Canadian Studies conferences. A maximum of $1000 is potentially available to students to support travel (normally limited to economy airfare and ground transportation), accommodation, and conference registration costs only. A student can apply for these funds only once in their career as a graduate student.
Normally, applicants must do the following a minimum of 6 weeks in advance of their proposed departure date: (Applications received later than this timeframe will not be considered for support).
1. Send electronically an application (on institutional letterhead) that indicates the following:
· They are members in good standing of the CSN-REC.
· The details of the conference to be attended and how their proposed paper/involvement links to the theme of the conference.
· They will be presenting a paper or otherwise be identified on the programme for the event. (The abstract of the paper and notice of its acceptance must be included with the application package. If not presenting a paper, the exact nature of participation must be clearly detailed and supported with confirmation of that role by the conference organizers.)
· The detailed budget of their anticipated expenses and sources of other support being pursued/committed.
· They will be an active participant in all aspects of the conference. (Supported participants are required to be present for the full length of the conference.)
· What stage they are at in their graduate studies and what their intended completion date is.
· Detail (in about 100 words) what they see will be the benefits of their attendance at the conference for themselves AND the CSN-REC scholarly community, and how they intend to ensure that there will be concrete outcomes to the CSN-REC for its sponsorship of their participation.
2. Additional materials required:
· A letter from their supervisor supporting their participation at this conference. Full contact details of the supervisor must be included in the letter. Pdf format is acceptable.
· The supervisor's full contact information including institutional mailing address, phone, email.
3. If a student accepts funding from the CSN-REC to attend any such conference they will be agreeing to the following:
· To write a 500 word report on their experiences at the conference for the CSN-REC newsletter/webpage within 30 days of their return. (Photographs taken as the event would be an asset) Payment will not be made until this report, along with a clear and detailed statement of expenses, and receipts are sent to the CSN-REC. Original boarding passes and travel documents should be provided. (If these items are needed by other funders, copies of these can be submitted as long as they have been endorsed by the student's supervisor.)
· To actively promote the goals and mandate of the CSN-REC while at the conference.
· To gather information on the workings of student networks abroad to be shared with the CSN-REC in writing upon their return.
· To actively work with the CSN-REC student representative (or other Executive members as appropriate) for up to 12 months following their return to achieve the identified concrete results (above) from their attendance.
June 17, 2011